Experts, expertise, and consulting 
What's an expert?
An expert is one who possesses specialized skill, experience, and
knowledge that most people do not have along with the ability to apply this
knowledge using tricks, shortcuts, and rules-of-thumb to resolve a problem
efficiently [Harmon and King, 1985]. An expert's
advice has to be good enough most of the time for the expert to keep his
or her reputation, but is not expected to be perfect or even the globally
best available to be considered useful [Hayes-Roth, 1983].
What are the attributes of effective consultants and consulting?
- Consulting is goal oriented
- A good consultant is efficient
- A consultation is adaptive
- Consultants are able to work with imperfect information
- Good consultants justify their recommendations by explaining their reasoning
Here's an illustration of each of these attributes from the auto diagnosis example...
Introduction to Expert Systems Copyright © 2001 by eXpertise2Go.com. All rights reserved.